Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Love Me Tender

My grandmother passed away yesterday.  She had been sick for quite some time with a combination of ailments, but even still you are never quite 100% ready to get the call.  So, here are some fun memories that I will hold close to my heart of my grandmother, Elizabeth Jean:

  • Friday night sleepovers at their house when I was just a wee one eating popcorn on a blanket on the floor watching "Wheel of Fortune."  Then, waking up in the middle of the night and getting sick because I ate too much popcorn.
  • She was an AMAZING pie maker, but one time I recall her grabbing grapes out of the freezer thinking they were blueberries for a pie.  I thought she was going to smack my grandpa when he asked if blueberries had seeds until she realized what she had done.
  • As most women did, she'd get her hair done once per week, but we'd always look at her like she was a bionic woman and couldn't figure how her hair stayed that way. 
  • She was quite an accomplished skeet shooter and had a number of trophies.
  • Words that will always just remind me of her: davenport, afghan, pawpaw.

    I was lucky enough to have both grandmothers present at Shamus and I's wedding.
  • She was one of many who swooned for Mr. Presley.  So, today Elvis is singing for you my Grandma Lisa.




Song of the day - Elvis ~ Love Me Tender



Peace...

10 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Classic! Elvis was my mom's dream dude. Not a bad choice I must say.

Sara Montgomery said...

Sorry for your loss. Very nice memories of your grandmother.

giraffy said...

Man. Sorry to hear that, and a lovely post.

sbrt said...

Bless her.

William said...

So sorry! Thank you for sharing and hope you're doing alright.

Chris K said...

My sincere condolences JP. My Grandfather was very special to me and I have very fond memories like you do.

magbueno said...

Sorry for your loss Jessie. We send you a hug.

JessiePants said...

Thanks so much my friends for your kind words.

Trail Woman said...

Lovely ladies indeed. Wonderful message for your grandma.

ultra collie said...

a great tribute jp