Sunday, July 17, 2011

Grin & Bear It

Yesterday, it was the annual Crested Butte Mountain Runners' Grin and Bear It Run.  Here's the description from their website:
This course involves a good hill climb on the course from Crested Butte to Green Lake under Mt Axtell and back. Distance is 9 miles with 1600' vertical on single track trails and dirt roads.


Their "good hill climb" is no joke.  The first time Funderson took me on this trail I remember rounding the corner from the single track to old jeep road and just laughing out loud at the steepness of the hill.  Nothing like a good kick in the pants!!!  This is one of many fun trail runs that we get to partake in as part of the group.  Great vibes out on the trail and lots of smiles on a sunny day.  The actual Green Lake is the turn around point at the top of the trail and has been annihilated by a massive (or multiple) avalanches.  Sorry no photos, didn't want to carry it, next time I promise.  Trees just buckled over like toothpicks and a large island in the middle of the lake with snow/ice/trees/debris.  Absolutely beautiful day and ended with a little cookout and a cool beverage:


Rebekah and I post run...can't believe she'd stand next to me I smelled so dreadful.




Song of the day - Empire of the Sun ~ Walking on a Dream

"We are always running for the thrill of it, thrill of it.  Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it..."  Swwwweeeet runnin' tune.



Peace...

7 comments:

Simon said...

Sounds a great day Jessie. We have a race called 'Grin & Bear It' round these parts too!

Teamarcia said...

Sounds like one helluva climb! Yikes!
Love that song--it's on my pod.

funderson said...

Wow...I can't believe it either...

Greg said...

Sounds like a great day. I love the name of the race. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Things are getting better and I hope to be back to running like normal by the end of the month. The post that you and Funderson put up make me miss the mountains. I went to college in the Blue Ridge mountains, but never took proper advantage of living there. After seeing the photos you guys post. I really want to see the Rockies!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Sounds like a great day

The Green Girl said...

You, go, girl! Love the name of the race - that's some serious elevation gain!

JessiePants said...

Thanks all!
Greg - you and your lovely wife are welcome any time if you'd like.